MCQ: As a photographer, do u often release edited portrait to female friends or unedited photos? What would u normally feel if ppl commented that girls in ur photos were ugly?

Photography is a process of understanding and appreciating.

About Me

I am Siaojun. I like psychology, society(family relation) & photography. I came from a broken family, whereby makes me prefer warm and not strict friends. Thanks for reading my blog and trying to understand me.

2009-01-02

Close Minded

"There would be a day when her face would be wrinkled and wizen."
-Oscar Wilde

Canon invited one of the Taiwan top wedding photographers to present a speech in Canon CPS member conference recently. The guy was very famous. He started wedding photography in US initially and managed to win the Top 10 wedding photographers of the year, before he was invited by his sponsor to improve the quality of wedding photography in Taiwan. He had successfully published more than 10 books in this area.

During the Q&A section, the sharpest question went to him was that why Asian wedding photography still could not compete with Advanced Countries?

I’ve forgotten what the publicities that he answered on the stage, but when we asked him the same question under the stage, he answered differently. He told us he faced the same problem, the culture difference. For example, after the bride left the lunch section, it was usually touching to take some pictures of the father, his complex feeling after his daughter married. But in a close minded culture, people seldom could understand why photographer wanted to take photo for such a moment. They had to ask everything, why photographer took photo for this, why he took photo for that. After they knew the meaning and finally agreed, and then let him took photos for them acted in the way he explained. “Normally acted falsely, and the feeling of photo them became very suck.” “Take photo for those close minded family, firstly you need to teach them every detail about wedding photography, to be a lecturer and then prepare to be a good director, to direct a movie. But how much did they pay?” “It is quite frustrated. The only solace I could get is those people who could not work with me well, usually they could not work with others well.”


I pretty much agreed with his heart felt words. I had a female classmate. She was quite pretty, but a bit close-minded. I found I just could not work with her well in any school events. Last year she found a part time modeling job in PC fair. Inside photography forums, her PC Fair photos also turned out to be among the poorest from more than 50 different photographers around KL. When I showed her photos to my housemates, they rudely commented,”OMG, sting my eyes!” ”She is beautiful? Hi, Siaojun, what hell is ur taste?” I mean those photographers could take photos for all other models beautifully. More over those agents, who were in charge of recruiting models work for big companies for RM250 per day, were not blinded.

She discussed with me about this in MSN, in addition why most photographers only posted other models’ photos, while her photos were so few. I did not dare to answer her genuinely, but the truth must be her close-mind and troublesome behaviour made all photographers thought the poor results were unfair to them and had to be deleted.


My lovely classmate’s PC fair experience was a bit embarrassed yet far from tragic. She was still young, still pretty. If she knew she had to change, she would still have other chances.


The real tragic is from one of my Church aunties. She always asked me why I didn’t bring my camera to the Church. On the BBQ of Christmas Eve, I decided to bring. However, she moved very fast whenever I wanted to take a picture of her. I only had a set of student equipments, an entry level camera. There was no way for me to take a sharp photo for fast moving object during the dark night. I told her to hold her position for a while, maybe count 1, 2, 3 after my camera had flashed. She claimed that I was too slow, “Why those report photographers could take photos for government leaders at any time?” “Did they also ask them to slow down?”

How could she expect I have the same equipments as those used to photo government leaders? Who was she? Anyway, I found auntie was unreasonable and troublesome. I tried 3 times then gave up.


After Christmas our church has a bible study session in that auntie’s house. Different from other church aunties, whose houses usually had a few large photo albums put around sofa, her house had only 1 small studio photo of herself with her husband, and there was no album. I asked auntie could I have a look on her wedding day photos. She told me that she invited a wrong wedding photographer and her wedding day photos were very poor.

I was polite and complemented that auntie’s only photo showed she was quite pretty when she was young. Another auntie agreed, they knew each other since college time, now they all around 50s, “She was among the prettiest girls in our college; u could not believe how many boys was after her at that time.”

Auntie had a solace smile on her face. Her mind was probably going back to her college days. Suddenly Alex, a handsome male student from Sarawak, doubted, ”is it?” His doubting was not loud but clear. On the second, I saw auntie’s smile freezing, on her now wizen and wrinkled face.

Wedding Day Photo, The cooperation of bride family made this photo very successful.

没有评论:

MCQ: What will you think about, if you see a girl swimming in a beach resort, while wearing a T-shirt over her swimming suit to prevent others from seeing her body?

MCQ: Assume you only have money to install 1 air-conditioner in ur house, which room will u install it?

One of my housemates does not perform his duty. Some commented that his girl friend must be immature; otherwise she won't have chosen this kind of people. Do u agree?

Locations of visitors to this page